Thursday, 31 May 2012

Work Experience: BA Demo Reel

Monday, 28 May 2012

Dynamics 3: Intro to Dynamic Bodies

Active / Passive Bodies: Stand In Object (Chain Links)


Active / Passive Bodies: Hinge & Spring Constraints (Catapult)



Active / Passive Bodies: Nail Constraint (Newton’s Cradle)

Active / Passive Bodies: Pin Constraint (Earing)


Soft Bodies Part 1: Flesh





Soft Bodies Part 3: Snow




NCloth Part 1: Flags (Ncloth, Collider, & Nucleus)




NCloth Part 3: Bouncy Castle (Cache Blending)

Lighting & Rendering 3: Intro to Mental Ray Continued


Ambient Occlusion Lighting & Light Decay


Using Ambient Occlusion with Displacment Maps


Mental Ray: Using Maya Layered Shaders with Mental Ray Nodes


Mental Ray: Round Corners Node


Depth of Field: Using Luminance Depth

Friday, 18 May 2012

Pink Project: Glamour Shoe

As part of work experience I've been working on a number of sequences for two separate projects. I strayed away from my initial particles idea due to its loose ties towards the theme of the Pink project, instead looking towards more solid references that relate to the context of the project.

The last few posts are focused on the Pink Project, specifically the summary of the development with the Shoe, Diamonds and Fabric sequences.

Using reference from a very specific source as well as looking into other Burlesque and Bordello-like footwear for secondary reference I modelled a high-heeled shoe and textured using mental ray shaders.


Initial Model





It seemed odd for the shoe to be turning on its own, therefore a turntable was added underneath in order to make it seem as if it was inside a display/show.

In order to get a sparkle, I experimented using normals with a high scaling. The shoe has a colour ramp of red > pink > blue. As well as five spotlights (1 red 2 pink 2 blue) that rotate with it and bounce off the turntable to compliment the shoe.



Version One






The geometry didn't need any more tweaking after this point. I experimented adding more studded jewels using more geometry to make the shoe seem more extravagant, but they seemed to ruin the look.



The client responded back replying that he liked the work, the feedback given at this stage was that the client would like the shoe to have some animated tapping, and more glinted lighting.

Using dynamics and basing off reference of sequinned clothing and footwear, I emitted particles coming off the shoe with a high rate and low lifespan, and a low glow attached to the particles with a light blue tint.


Version Two




Client gave feedback on the animation suggesting the slam down to be quicker than the lift up, but tapping at the same speed so it looks more like a deliberate tap. As well as 30% more sparkles. He also pointed out the shoe also has a bit of a shadow on the right side, and lighting was looking a bit dark in the front


I ramped up the rate of particles, raised the size and very slightly adjusted the lifespan. The offending spotlight on the right side had its intensity raised and its dropoff lowered to give it a less sharp cone of light. I also added one more spotlight to the front of the shoe to even out the spread.
As a pre-caution, Within After Effects I created a sprite that was keyed in each frame over the current particles to slightly enhance the sparkle but more importantly make it easier to adjust the intensity of the sparkles- this way if the client requested the sparkles to be brighter, I could adjust it quickly in after effects rather then render the scene once more in Maya.


Version Three-Final



Alternatively- Watch in HD on Youtube

Pink Project: Diamonds

Using references I created a top and side view of the diamond to model from.




Version 1



Client liked the diamond, but asked for a little more glinting and light, and rotating off-axis so they can see it's top occasionally. Client also suggested if they have three side by side? - but rotating slightly differently.

Was a matter of changing the shader properties slightly and the rotation pivot. Rendered out three separate scenes and combined in After Effects.


Version 2



Client complimented the sequence and asked if they could have it on a black background. As the diamonds had an alpha channel this was easy to add in through After Effects.


Version 3



Client asked for one more change before sending the sequence over, the change was to have the refractions coming through the diamonds to include more black segments. Stating that it will allow them to force more contrast if need be and and add Glints etc. to pick out faces for just a few frames at a time.
Using a levels adjustment layer on top of the three layers, I adjusted the black output so more black could be seen as it rotates. I also made a slight change to the tint of the diamonds using a colour balance layer


Version 4 - Final



Alternatively- Watch in HD on Youtube

Pink Project: Fabric

This was a brief third idea which was pitched to the client, but didn't have as much development focus as the Shoe and Diamond were.


Version 1



Pitched to the client who liked it, stating the fabric flows in a really nice way, but asked to leave that for now.

A lot of time passed before I worked on it again. After finishing up on the Shoe and Diamond I went back to the fabric segment. As the client had stated if I can get them the fabric by tomorrow morning that would be ace.


Version 2- No Loop



I managed to get a better version of the fabric going complete with colour tints of red pink and blue, but I disliked the starting part of the fabric. It also seemed odd as it was the only segment that didn't loop.
Using Maya's trak editor and caching the dynamics, I managed to blend the animation so the fabric starts up already waving and is on a constant loop.


Version 2- Looped Final



Alternatively- Watch in HD on Youtube