Sunday 9 October 2011

Character Design: Show's Tone, Atmosphere and Target Audience

Following the Character Biographies and Shows Synopsis, I haven’t made the tone of the show too clear.

Target Audience:
Targeted towards a child-male audience. The type that usually watches the show and buys all the toys and action figures related to the show. :D



Tone:
The inspirations for tone of the show are primarily the cartoons G.I. Joe (1987), and M.A.S.K (1985).
The tone of the show will be played towards overblown plans by the villain, and half-thought out actions by the villain’s goons that are usually defeated by the Hero and Sidekick.
Of course, like every great 80’s Film/Cartoon. One of the main elements of the show would be the writers always genius cheesy one-liners.
"I'd like to uninvincible you, snake breath"
"Now for the Final Stroke!"


Atmosphere:
I’d like to push on towards 80's (Give or Take) rock culture, in particular:
Def Leppard (1977)
Bon Jovi
Guns N' Roses
However, I would not like to restrict myself to it- as it is a reboot of an 80's show. I would also like to bring in tone from Oasis, or Black Rebel Motorcycle Club:


Essentially I want to give the impression that the hero and villain are badasses. Whilst everyone else (sidekick as well as villain’s supporting cast are generally goofs/comedic reliefs)
The Villain organisation's tone is drawn from inspiration to Bebop and Rocksteady from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles


Pwing! Pwing!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Ryan, apologies for not getting back to you sooner. I think thats just about the perfect tone. Ok, on with the character sketches...

    ReplyDelete